Friday, April 29, 2011

Weekend Review wk #3 (4/29/11)

Hope everyone is doing well after those horrible storms we had this past week. Shew... what a week for Jeff to be on graveyard!! Here's the review of dishes for this week.

Tomato Minestrone Soup with Garlic Bread Croutons: I used whole wheat noodles and low sodium broth, and homemade sourdough wheat bread for the croutons, still.... I was not a fan. It just lacked something, not sure what and not sure I'm willing to give it another try. I didn't even get a picture. The croutons were good. I just sliced the bread as if I were making garlic bread (so you only need 1 per person!). I will most likely fix this with another soup dish in the future.

Grilled Cheese and Ham Waffles: Well, I don't know how I feel about this one. The flavor with the over easy egg was good, as well as with warm honey. It wasn't my favorite but wasn't the worst dish either. The texture was good and I love the bite of the cheese with the ham. It makes me want to experiment further with waffles. How about you?


Updated Shepard's Pie: This was so yummy!! And only 310 calories I might add!! I didn't know what I was going to think of mashed potatoes with sour cream but I was pleasantly surprised!! Dad actually licked his bowl clean!! Ha This is a great dish for a potluck dinner!! The only time straining part was waiting for the potatoes to cook. Super quick and easy to do!! When taking the picture I wouldn't "stack" like I needed it to to show the layers so, it's just kinda spread out there for ya.


Double-Stuffed Chickeb Breast: I picked up some whole wheat pasta for this dish and loved the taste! This was a lot quicker to fix than I thought it would be, it just took a little while to bake. It looks great plated up and we loved the flavor! Are you ready for this?? It was only 198 calories! Oh yeah! You just need to pay attention to the pasta and marinara sauce, check the ingredeints!! I will be making this one again soon!! We liked this better than the Lazy Baked Greek Chicken, but I think I may add some spinach to this dish in the future, just for fun!! I am going to look at doing my own bread crumbs too. We'll see what kind of time I have!


Almond Joy Layered Cake: Oh my word, this was AMAZING!!! Mom felt it was a little rich and had too much coconut. I can see reducing it in the future. I did the layered cupcakes and they turned out very well. The cake baked in no time since I did a big thin layer. It was time consuming but looks great and well worth the wait!!



Swirlberry Ice Cream: I love the simplicity of this dessert. I don't like that it gets crumbly after being in the freezer overnight. I don't know if that's from the berry mixture that resembles sherbet after frozen or not. It still taste great. Just wish I could find a way to reduce the sugar and not the taste. I may try to use some stevia next time and see what I get!! Then there's the heavy cream required for the ice cream itself. Any suggestions??



No comments:

Post a Comment